Sunday, October 12, 2008

How to run Puppy Linux in Windows

John G. Derrickson has written an article on How to run Puppy Linux in Windows without modifying any of your windows installation settings.


Below is how I get my Puppy Linux running on my Windows XP by following John G. Derrickson's method.


1. Download PupWinQE.zip from here, if you can not download there, then try here.


2. I extract PupWinQE.zip into my computer at folder c:\puppy


Puppy-linux-Scr Oct. 12 10.5701.jpg


3. There are all together 12 files extracted.


4. Then I download the puppylinux/puppy-4.1-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso to the folder c:\puppy on my computer, if you can not download from there try here.


5. Next, I make some changes to the Puppy.bat by right click on it and select edit.


This is the original details:


qemu -L . -m 256 -cdrom puppy-2.11-seamonkey.iso -localtime -hda puppy.qcow -boot d -hdb \\.\PhysicalDrive0


I change the text highlighted in red as follow:


qemu -L . -m 256 -cdrom puppy-4.1-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso -localtime -hda puppy.qcow -boot d -hdb \\.\PhysicalDrive0




you should change this text according to the filename that you downloaded for puppy linux.


6. Now I right click on the file Puppy.bat and select {send to}->{desktop(create shortcut)}


7. Next I go to my desktop and right click on Puppy.bat, select {properties}->{change icon}->{browse} to c:\puppy\linux3.ico to select the linux icon.


8. Now when double click on Puppy.bat, my Puppu Linux will start running. when you saw these dialog box just press {enter}.


Scr Oct. 12 11.2902.jpg


9. Below is my Puppy Linux, you can see that is is running inside windows xp.


Puppy-linux-00001.jpg


You might interested in:
How to Increase your Site/Blog Traffic

No comments: